Name pronunciation guide: USS-muh MAH-lick. Listen here.
Ausma Malik is Toronto's Deputy Mayor
and your City Councillor
for Ward 10 - Spadina–Fort York.
The first hijab-wearing Muslim woman elected to public office in Canada, Councillor Malik is known for staring down hate and inspiring hope for racial justice, economic reconstruction, and democratic renewal.
As Toronto City Councillor, Ausma brings her local knowledge and experience to be a champion for affordable housing, vibrant public spaces, improved public transit, and safer streets for everyone.
Ausma has spent her life working to build a better city, more caring communities and inclusive civic spaces. From student organizing to environmental activism, from child care advocacy and education accessibility to policy innovation that improves lives, she has experienced first-hand the power of working together.
From 2014 to 2018, Ausma served our downtown communities as a Trustee elected to the Toronto District School Board, where she was successful in getting Jean Lumb Public School built – the first new downtown public school in over twenty years.
From 2016 to 2022, Ausma was the Director of Advocacy and Organizing at the Atkinson Foundation, where she collaborated with grassroots organizers, policy innovators, and other movement builders to advocate for decent work and a fair economy.
Ausma is proud to serve Ward 10, Spadina–Fort York, and knows we can do more in Toronto to bring people in, not push people out. Ausma’s vision for Toronto is a green, just, and caring city – a Toronto that works for all of us, includes all of us and gives voice to all of us.
As Deputy Mayor and City Councillor, Ausma serves on
the following Boards and Committees:
- Executive Committee, Vice-Chair
- Economic and Community Development Committee
- Toronto and East York Community Council, Vice-Chair
- Board of Health
- Striking Committee, Chair
- Toronto Music Advisory Committee
- Exhibition Place Board of Governors, Chair and Mayor's Designate
- Waterfront Revitalization Corporation (Waterfront Toronto), Mayor's Designate
- Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) Board of Trustees
- Campbell House Board of Management
- Canadian National Exhibition Association
- Harbourfront Centre Board of Directors